Opening Hours
Daily: 10 A.M.–5 P.M.
Closed on Tuesdays
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, CA 91108
Manuscripts
Daily: 10 A.M.–5 P.M.
Closed on Tuesdays
1151 Oxford Road
San Marino, CA 91108
![Part of the Island of Newfoundland: [showing St. John's Harbour]. [cartographic material]](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MOZIC2%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
Manuscript map, one of a group of three depicting Newfoundland. Appears to be a copy, made 1800 or later, of an earlier map. Shows the contemporary fort located to the north of the town, a proposed, much enlarged fort on the hills behind the town, the town and St. John's Harbour with gun batteries. Colored.
mssHM 15465 map 1
![Part of the Island of Newfoundland: [showing Quiddy Viddy Pond]. [cartographic material]](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MO2D5P%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
Manuscript map, one of a group of three depicting Newfoundland. Appears to be a copy, made 1800 or later, of an earlier map. Shows "Quiddy Viddy Pond" [i.e. Quidi Vidi Lake], the coastline, entrance to Quidi Vidi, Cuckold's Island and Cuckold's Cove. Colored.
mssHM 15465 map 2
![The Gulph of St. Laurence [cartographic material]](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MONZWX%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
Manuscript chart of the Gulf of St. Lawrence shows part of Newfoundland, Cape Breton Island, St. John's Island and Nova Scotia. Also shows the northern bank of St. Lauwrence to Point de Menepeles, and the south bank from Gaspé. Lower part shows the head of the Bay of Fundy. A copy by Charles Rivez, probably drawn in 1757.
mssHM 15434
![Plan of St. John's and Mechecascor on the north shore of the Bay of Fundy, taken in February 1756 [cartographic material] / by T. Lewis](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MOABNO%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
Manuscript map of the coastline and harbors of St. John's and Mechecascor [also spelled Machecscor on map, now Musquash]. Shows watering place and gives verbal sailing directions into St. John's. An inset shows the landfall from St. John's Westward, Partridge Island, bearing north by west about 4 miles.
mssHM 15425
![A sketch of Beaver Harbour with some remarks thereon taken while in search of building and limestone [cartographic material] / By John Marr, engineer](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MONJ17%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
One of a group of four maps depicting harbors in Nova Scotia made for the attention of General Jeffery Amherst, then Commander in Chief in North America. The group of maps all have the same scale as stated on the first. John Marr was an engineer assigned to British forces in Nova Scotia. John Henry Bastide was the chief engineer at Halifax. This sketch shows Beaver Harbour, several small islands and rock formations and other shipping hazards and gives the soundings in the harbor. Colored.
mssHM 15474 map 3
![A sketch of Whitehead Harbour taken while searching for building and limestone with some remarks [cartographic material] / By John Marr, engineer](/_next/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Frail.huntington.org%2FIIIF3%2FImage%2F22APN4MO2TZ4%2Ffull%2F%5E360%2C%2F0%2Fdefault.jpg&w=750&q=75)
Manuscripts
One of a group of four maps depicting harbors in Nova Scotia made for the attention of General Jeffery Amherst, then Commander in Chief in North America. John Marr was an engineer assigned to British forces in Nova Scotia. John Henry Bastide was the chief engineer at Halifax. This sketch shows Whitehead Harbour, location of rock outcrops, fresh water sources, and other geological features. Colored.
mssHM 15474 map 1