Virtual School Programs: The Huntington Comes to Class!
The Huntington Comes to Class is a virtual program for K-12 students. Teachers can choose one of the programs and Huntington Education staff will deliver the program to your students in a live learning session via the platform used by your school district. All programs engage students in Huntington primary sources, inquiry, and conversation. The Huntington Comes to Class is an interactive experience, so students will enjoy drawing, writing, movement, and other activities.
Please note all docent and teacher-led tours and Home School Mondays have been suspended until further notice due to COVID-19.
Information on 2021-2022 school programs will be available summer 2021.
The Huntington Comes to Class School Programs are:
- free of charge for K–12 students
- 45 min. in duration
- facilitated using The Huntington Framework for looking, thinking, and discussion
- facilitated by Huntington Education staff, but teachers must be present for the learning session to monitor learning and student conduct
- live-learning sessions. The Huntington does not allow screenshots or recordings.
The Huntington Framework:
- Observe & Describe – What do you see?
- Explain & Interpret – What does it mean to you?
- Reason with Evidence – What makes you think that?
- Wonder & Question – What questions do you still have?
Download/print School Programs [PDF]
Download/print School Programs Calendar [PDF]
Common Core State Standards- English Language Arts
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.1 Prepare for and participate effectively in a range of conversations and collaborations with diverse partners, building on others’ ideas and expressing their own ideas clearly and persuasively
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.2 Integrate and evaluate information presented in diverse media and formats, including visually, quantitatively, and orally
California English Language Development Standards
- ELD.PI.K-12.1 Exchanging information and ideas with others through oral collaborative discussions on a range of social and academic topics
- ELD.PI.K-12.3 Offering and supporting opinions and negotiating with others in communicative exchanges
- ELD.PI.K-12.5 Listening actively to spoken English in a range of social and academic contexts
- ELD.PII.K-12.6 Connecting ideas
College, Career & Civic Life (C3)
- D2.Civ.7.K-3 / 3-5 / 6-8 / 9-12 Apply civic virtues and democratic principles when participating in school/community settings/when working with others
Preparing for your School Program Visit
- Teacher Resources: Learning at Home
- Prepare your students with The Huntington School Program Booklet (English) | School Program Booklet (Spanish) | School Program Booklet (Chinese)
- Watch The Huntington Comes to Class welcome video
To accommodate different school schedules, morning programs can start as early as 9:30 a.m. and must conclude no later than 11 a.m. Afternoon sessions can start as early as 12:15 p.m. and conclude no later than 3 p.m. All programs are 45 minutes.
To promote a safe and enjoyable learning experience for all, teachers must be present with their camera on throughout the program. Teachers are responsible for monitoring student behavior and any chat facilities on the platform.
Teachers can prepare their students by reviewing our Huntington Comes to Class Code of Conduct with students; watching the pre-visit video and enjoying the Close Looking @TheH videos.
We recommend one classroom only: with a minimum of 15 and a maximum of 40. Requests for larger classes will be considered, subject to capacity.
The program can accommodate mixed grade classrooms, such as 2nd and 3rd grade in one room, or a high school class comprised of multiple grade levels.
Applicants will be notified within two weeks whether they are registered for a program or waitlisted. If you are registered for a program, you will receive pre-visit preparation material via email and asked to confirm your scheduled program. You will also need to share a link to the digital platform you will be using.
If program requests received exceed the number of program dates available, you will be added to the waitlist.
We will contact waitlisted groups as soon as we receive notification of a cancellation.
We do not allow screenshots or recordings by any participant in the program.