Docent-led Field Trips
Docent-led field trips are provided at no charge during non-public, morning hours, and led by volunteer docent teachers who guide students in interactive explorations of the institution's treasures. Docent-led field trips are available October through May with advance registration.
- Please arrive 30 minutes before your program begins. Allow sufficient time for travel time to The Huntington, including freeway traffic, bus unloading, and a bathroom break, so that your class is ready to start its tour at the designated hour. If you are traveling in private cars, please coordinate your arrival time with the drivers! Late arrivals may not be accommodated.
- All backpacks, purses, paper, pens, pencils, food and water must be left on the bus or in cars.
- The Huntington requires one adult chaperone for every ten students. For visits to the Children's Garden and Conservatory for Botanical Science, one adult chaperone for every four students is required. The adults must accompany the students throughout the visit. A maximum of one adult for every four students is allowed if the class travels by car.
- Only students enrolled in the program will be allowed on the tour. Please, no siblings, small children, babies, or strollers on the tour. Please ask your chaperones to make other arrangements for care of their other children or they will have to wait at the entrance pavilion during the program.
- Each school program is designed for a particular grade level. Please make sure that your student group consists of that target level only.
- The Huntington has a small picnic area on the grass where students may eat lunch. There are no tables or seating. Lunches must be left on the bus or stored in lockers available for $0.50 at the Entrance Pavilion.
- Schools participating in the docent-led programs are invited to return during public hours at no charge. Ask for a teacher entrance pass when you arrive for your morning program. Appropriate numbers of chaperones must be present for re-entry. See above for chaperone requirements.
- If you find that the number of students you are bringing has changed by more than five, call us at 626-405-2127 as soon as you know. Please remember we cannot accommodate more students than the stated maximum for a particular program.
How to Schedule
Docent-led field trips are available October through May with advance registration. Choose from the available art, garden, or library field trip programs, then complete the registration form to schedule your field trip. Through a generous grant from The Dan Murphy Foundation, The Huntington is able to offer limited bus funding assistance. To request bus funding assistance please note “Bus Funding” on your registration form in the notes section when booking your field trips for next year.
There is only one legal bus route to and from The Huntington from the north. Police may ticket you if you do not follow this route.
School Outreach Sponsors
School programs are supported by donations from the following:
Milo W. Bekins Foundation
The Capital Group Companies Charitable Foundation
Gardner Grout Foundation
Walt Disney Company
Wells Fargo Foundation